Students who attend strong match colleges graduate at higher rates. Consider these three factors:
- Match for Admission– Are you eligible academically based on your GPA and test scores?
- Match for Affordability- What is my family income? How much financial aid is being offered by the college/program?
- Match for Student Success Supports- What type of learning environment and services do you need to be successful? Do you qualify for opportunity programs?
What type of college might be a strong match for me?
Choose the academic profile that's closest to yours:
Make a college list with between 10-20 colleges. Include CUNYs, SUNYs, and Private Colleges.
Consider match for post-secondary pathway, affordability and belonging and support.
- 6 CUNYs- 1 CUNY fee waiver allows students to apply to 6 CUNY colleges.
- Up to 7 SUNYs- 1 SUNY fee waiver allows students to apply to up to 7 SUNY colleges.
- Up to 7 Private Colleges- 1 Common Application allows students to apply to over 500 Private Colleges.
- Add “Reach schools”– Schools that have admissions standards at the high end of what you can meet, and that you’d love to go to if you get in.
- Add “Match” schools- Schools that are the best fit for you academically and financially.
- Add “Likely” schools- Schools that you are very likely to get into and which are affordable for you and your family.
Are you eligible for opportunity programs?
You can still go to college if your grades were not as high as some colleges require. You must apply for these programs as part of your admissions application. You will have to complete additional application materials and financial aid forms by the colleges in which you are applying.
- Educational Opportunity Program (EOP): For students applying to a SUNY college or university
- Search for Education, Elevation and Knowledge (SEEK): For students applying to a CUNY 4 year colleges
- College Discovery (CD): For students applying to a CUNY two-year college
- Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP): For students applying to an independent college or university